Do I need to buy a new version of my Tax Software every year

Discuss and provide information about Financial Softwares.

Do I need to buy a new version of my Tax Software every year

Postby Ryan Sen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:40 am

I know tax laws change every year, but why they can't release new rules as updates instead of forcing us to buy new versions every year?

I use Turbo Tax. Does anyone know of another software that doesn't need a new version every year?
Ryan Sen

Re: Do I need to buy a new version of my Tax Software every

Postby Rebekah » Sat May 11, 2013 3:21 am

As a tax pro I feel your pain. I spend over $5,000 each year for professional tax preparation software. It would certainly be nice if the software companies could just send you an email telling you to update online to the current year's version for free but let's face it... they wouldn't be making as money now would they?

Since you have to use the official IRS forms, don't try to attempt crossing out the 2006 on your forms and writing in 2007. That won't work because the form line numbers change from year to year and when the IRS keypunch operator tries to key the return in there is a good chance they will put a number on the wrong line which could leave your return unprocessble or processed with major errors. In addition, the tax tables change each year so if you calculate a 2007 return on a 2006 piece of software you will get the incorrect tax amount.
Rebekah

Return to Financial Softwares